Saturday 14 September 2013

Tomato Jam (on a Grilled Cheese Sandwich)

 
 
Most people describe Tomato Jam as similar to chutney - a spicy and sweet tomato chutney.  When I first tasted it I immediately thought of a spicy tomato soup.  In my mind, tomato soup is inseparable from grilled cheese sandwiches ...

Tomato Jam Recipe

I wish I had been able to make a larger batch but I only had enough tomatoes for this half-batch of tomato jam (after already canning most of a bushel as tomato sauce).  Tomatoes are unpeeled for this which makes it very easy - most recipes suggest that the tomato peel and seeds are required to get the proper texture.  Seems reasonable to me!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 lbs tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
1 3/4 cup sugar
5 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp ginger, grated
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp chili flakes 


Combine all ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil.  Immediately reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on type of tomatoes (plum tomatoes have less water content).





I canned mine even though this only made about 2 1/2 cups worth, but I happened to have a batch of something else on the go so it was convenient.  It can just be stored in the fridge for a week or two.

Delicious on a grilled cheese sandwich and goes well with any cheese plates or cheese dishes; but also can be used like a relish (so with burgers or sausages) or in place of ketchup (like with eggs!).







No comments:

Post a Comment