Monday 3 November 2014

Harvest Monday: November 3, 2014 - Fresh Horseradish and Aged Cheddar Dip


Here is my weekly harvest report for Daphne's Dandelions Harvest Monday.  It is a great way to learn from other gardeners and see what they have going on in their gardens each week.

I've been away from home quite a bit lately so not much time around the garden (or in the kitchen).  But I suppose it was good timing as there hasn't been much to harvest anyway. 

The brassicas are still on their way .. brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower.  Hopefully the weather will hold out long enough to get something worthy of a meal (well, just a side dish would be nice!) although it was already below zero a few nights recently.

In the meantime, this week's harvest consists of a few horseradish roots (also a brassica) that I pulled out of the pot I grow it in.  I grow it to keep around potatoes as it is supposed to keep the bugs away. But because it can be invasive, I grow only a small amount in a pot - its effectiveness as a deterrent for potato beetles is questionable to begin with and I suspect the small amount I have is not much use, but I have had no potato bugs the past couple of years.



After peeling the skinny little roots, it was grated then made into a veggie dip / cracker spread.  Delicious!



Ingredients:
1/2 cup cream cheese
3 Tbsp aged cheddar spread (I used Balderson 3 year aged spreadable cheddar)
1 1/2 tsp freshly grated horseradish
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika

Whip the cheese together then stir in remaining ingredients.  Refrigerate a couple of hours then serve with veggies or crackers.

3 comments:

  1. Yum. I love horseradish and have thought about growing it. But that invasive issue has kept me from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I grow mint in a pot as well for that very reason. Do you bring the pot in over the winter or does it stay outside. I'm notoriously bad at keeping indoor plants healthy - or even alive! Luckily, the mint can stay in its pot outside all winter and still comes back no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, same here. I just leave it in the pot all winter outdoors and it is fine in the spring. But my mint which I also left in pots outdoors did not come back as well as I liked. So I put it in the ground! Must be the daredevil in me. :) But I did put it very far away from the veg garden.

      Delete