Wednesday 27 August 2014

Plum Clafoutis



I've been wanting to make plum clafoutis for a few years ... I don't know why it had to be plum but it did.  The plum trees I planted last year have yet to produce beyond the single plum the year they were planted.  But I must admit I have done very little maintenance.  So I will remedy that as we head into cooler weather to be sure they have a healthy start next spring.

In the meantime, I popped by a local market ... I was intending to buy seconds of tomatoes as I don't have enough of my own to make the massive quantities of salsa and sauce I go through each year.  Unfortunately, the market farm is having their own issues with tomatoes and are a bit behind this year (maybe in a couple of weeks they said).


But there I found some lovely plums ... and finally made a clafoutis.  It was everything I was hoping it would be: a very moist and soft spongy texture filled with a slightly sweetened but still somewhat tart taste of plum.

I slapped together a recipe from a few I found online and used a combination of buttermilk and 18% cream (some recipes were just milk while some used all heavy cream!).

Combine in a large bowl:
2/3 cup flour (multi blend)
1/3 cup sugar
3 eggs

Mix in:
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup 18% cream
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt

Stir dry and wet ingredients to make a loose batter.

In one layer, place plum halves (about 15 plums) in the bottom of a deep dish 10 inch pie plate.  I rotated between cut half down or up.


Then pour the batter over top and shake very gently to settle any bubbles.



Bake at 350 degree F for about 35 - 40 minutes or until the batter has set (toothpick comes out clean).

I served it with roasted plums and plum ice cream (the recipe for which I will share separately because, well ... it deserves its own page it was that good!).



4 comments:

  1. That DOES look delicious! I've only ever eaten plums out of hand, never in a cooked dish before - that's going to have to change. My plum tree is four years old and gave us a just over a pound of plums last year but this year - nothing. I think the tough winter killed off the spurs...hopefully next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plums are fabulous sliced up with a cold custard!

      Delete
  2. Oh oh oh I LOVE clafoutis, I made a peach one about 3 weeks ago, ready to make another one soon.

    ReplyDelete