Wednesday 2 April 2014

Potatoes Sprouting in the Dark?


While I was getting something from the cold room, I noticed that the newspaper covering the potatoes was sticking out a bit.


When I lifted up the papers I saw this!!  Mostly the russian blue potatoes, but also some of the red chieftain, have sprouted.  In the dark!


I'm not really clear on how this happened; I assumed light was needed to sprout - or at least to sprout as much as this - but the cold room is completely dark (well, I've never actually stood in the room with the door closed and the light off because that's just creepy - but I assume it's completely dark).  I may have to purchase some containers and bags of soil this weekend and get some planted.  Clearly there is no chance of planting in this yard any time soon ...




No comments:

Post a Comment