Friday 17 May 2013

Lemon Blueberry Labneh (Yogurt) Ice Cream


I'll start this post by stating that this is the BEST ice cream I've ever made.  I've made homemade ice cream many times, but usually a basic vanilla (and sometimes green tea ice cream).  But this was a real treat!

I did not post anything a few nights ago.  Instead, I spent the evening surfing other blogs.  I really enjoy reading food blogs ... good, honest people who enjoy cooking and talking (writing) about it.  I particularly like to seek out food blogs from other countries as there is often such a different approach to what I am used to.

Lemon Love Notes is a food blog from Romania.  I found it when searching for Labneh recipes.  I had some homemade yogurt that had been sitting in the fridge for a while, so I made yogurt cheese out of it by just draining it through some coffee filters for a day or so.  Labneh is the middle eastern term for strained yogurt.  I wasn't sure what to do with it until I came across this blog.   But more importantly, this blog has totally inspired me to try new dishes - both cooking and eating!  I suspect I'll reference this blog a few times as there are a number of recipes I intend to make use of.  From what I can tell, this recipe seems to be the most recent entry but is dated almost a year ago.  Disappointing for me (and others, I'm sure)!

In the meantime, here is my version of Lemon Love Notes "Frozen Sweet Labneh with Vanilla, Lemon & Blueberries" recipe.





Similar to Yolanda, the Lemon Love Notes author, I also do not have an ice cream "machine".  But I do have a fabulous old-school Donvier hand-crank ice cream maker.  I bought mine at a thrift store, along with several others over the years which I have passed on to friends and family.  Mine is a mini, and makes only about 1/2 a litre.





The recipe was adjusted only to accommodate the ingredients and amounts that were available to me, although I added some lemon juice; otherwise, I essentially followed the recipe shown here:  Lemon Love Notes blog.

Oops, dropped the lemon in the bowl while zesting!

 Ingredients:
300 grams Labneh
40 grams heavy cream
1 Tbsp honey
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup blueberries
1 Tbsp white sugar










Toss blueberries with sugar in a bowl; set aside.  Mix first five ingredients in a bowl.  Pour into Donvier ice cream maker.




 
 
Follow instructions: turn mixer 2-3 times every 5 minutes until mixture is partially frozen.  Add blueberries.  Continue turning every 5 minutes until mixture is fully frozen (or as long as you can wait before digging in!).  Serve immediately.










No comments:

Post a Comment