Tuesday 5 March 2013

The Greenhouse!

My new place has a GINORMOUS greenhouse, or at least I consider it huge as far as personal use goes.  Previous owners at one time had a commercial flower business on the property.  But not the most recent previous owners, whom I suspect were not using it at all.  The electricity doesn't seem to work, so I'll need to get that looked at soon.


There is a lot of work to clean it up, and that certainly won't happen right away.  I plan to take advantage of having the greenhouse, so will grow most of my vegetables in containers, which is not something I've done much of (aside from the odd pepper/tomato plant that I kept on my apartment balconies).  Since containers are so pricy, I am investigating various options.  I have already purchased some sunleaves grow bags, but even those at a buck apiece are adding up.  I expect to have hundreds of plants, so I am definitely considering the plastic/vinyl tote containers.  There is much debate over the use of plastics, so I'm researching as much as I can at this point.  And I also plan to plant directly in the ground of the greenhouse, but much work to be done there - it currently has a gravel floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment